Here is my journey to find out what makes me unmistakable, what brings me joy... and to release the thoughts in my head.



November 5, 2008

Thinking Ahead:

Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat. Please, put a penny in the old man's hat. If you haven't a penny a 'alf penny'll do. If you haven't got a 'alf penny then God Bless you!

-- Traditional Christmas song


I am thinking ahead. And trying this out for the first time:



At Rocks In my Dryer, there is a discussion going on about what toys are worth the time and money to purchase for our little ones. In these tough times, what is considered timeless, and not likely to be junked anytime soon? We have toys in our house that have lived through three boys, and one little girl. Timeless and though considered gender specific, this is not the case in my home.

My list:
  1. Baby dolls. Each of my children have parented a baby. Nate had "Baby Jake", Brian had "Darin" and Ruth is caring for "Lee" and "Jesse" (Jesse belonged to DJ). Baby dolls are timeless. If you spend the money for quality, they can wear real clothes handed down from your child. They can be wrapped in handed down baby blankets as well. Timeless.

  2. Blocks Wooden, plastic links, any type of blocks can survive generations of children. My kids played with blocks handed down from my uncle. There is so much creativity that emerges from these little squares and rectangles.

  3. Army guys. Do be mad. These come from the dollar store, and now a days can be firemen or policemen. They can be animals or dinosaurs, too. The idea is the little one piece toys that lined my halls and rooms. Brian own armies and armies of them. They are still being resurrected from the sand pit. When Ruth finds one, she plays with it.

  4. Books. These are priceless, and timeless. The time spent reading with our kids can not be replaced. The classics in novel or story book form. The Little House books, Little Women. Mercer Mayer. Dr. Seuss. Need I go on?

  5. Wooden Trains and Matchbox cars. These are in Ruth's toy shelf. They come out with less regularity, but they will be put away for the next generation.

I have to say, the books are the only thing on the list for this year. We still use all the other toys from years gone by. We will likely add brain teasers and games. Last year, we got Apples to Apples and love to play. Whether there are 5 of us or 15, this game helps us gain understanding of each other. It can be for all ages, as long as the rules are set to apply. :) We mixed generations last time, and had to remind each other there was an 8 year old at the table. Ooops.

4 comments:

Growin' With It said...

i love board games. we did it a lot growing up and i try to buy my kids a new one each christmas. now if i can only get my husband more excited about the idea! he cheats.

Michelle O'Neil said...

My kids spent many years on the Fisher Price Little People toys. I got a huge set at a garage sale for $13.00. It was my best purchase ever! My daughter still plays with the doll house.

Anonymous said...

Love your gift ideas!

Thankfully I am finished purchasing gifts for my children. Still a few to go!

Board games are favorites of most kiddos! Great idea!

Halfmoon Girl said...

We have many of the same kind of toys. I like ones that last. My kids love Apples to Apples, and it is one that my husband likes playing as well.